Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dad

I missed Friday's post and was going to give up posting again for a while (too easy) but I had to post again. If only to get rid of that alarming toothy peg picture of Thursday's post fame.

Oh God, I hope no-one thinks that's my mouth. Just to reiterate - It's not ok! It's just some random picture from the periodontitis google image hall of fame. Some old biddy who spits when she talks by the look of it..

So I will go with Friday's prompt as it's bizarrely great timing. I was thinking of my Dad yesterday as my son was talking about his great great grandfather dying of old age on our way walking home from school. Just one of those random out of the blue six year old statements. Well, his grandfather is dead. My Dad died six weeks before Pascal was born so when I think of my father I think of him standing at the kitchen sink the day I told him I was pregnant with his first grandchild. We had only recently found out his cancer was back (it had started with the prostate).  While we were standing at the kitchen bench waiting for the kettle to boil he asked me once again when the baby was due. He was looking down, concentrating on working the dates out - the way you do when you are trying to work out if you are going to be available that day - which I guess he was. He said something like 'yep, I'll be around, definitely.' but he wasn't.

I really miss him and when Pascal was talking about his great grandfather dying I was wondering what he would have called him. I had this sense that they have this relationship which is so strange since they never got to meet. God, they would have LOVED each other so much and he would have been the best grand dad.

Gotta go now.

THE MOMENT
Crying at my laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment